How long does t take to get a green card if I marry an illegal but has a first offense DUI? or is it possible to get a green car

Asked about 1 year ago - Livermore, CA

How long does t take to get a green card if I marry an illegal but has a first offense DUI? or is it possible to get a green card? What exactly needs to be done?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

23

Answered . It depends on what your immigration status is, and how he entered the U.S.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

14

Answered . To my knowledge, first DUI offense does not lead to a green card, and so does not marriage to "an illegal".

3. Sholeh Iravantchi

11

Answered . Generally one DUI is not damaging, However, there are some facts that are important in evaluating your matter and missing in your answer. You stated that spouse is illegal, but what is important is that how he/she entered US and how long he/she has been here. Of course we assume that you are a US citizen or LPR. What needs to be done is the US citizen or LPR spouse will petition for the other. However, it is highly advisable that you contact an immigration attorney for that purpose.

4. Thomas Joseph Baker

6

Answered . As stated before, how this person entered/what makes them "illegal" will be controlling.

I began to type out a long explanation but there are just too many possibilities and I really need more facts to give you some solid advice. If you would like, you can call my office and I will give you a free 15 minute consultation.

Thomas J. Baker
    Bay Area Immigration Attorney
    Http://www.wigonlaw.com
    925-338-9750

5. Spojmie Ahmady Nasiri

Pro

5

Answered . As stated already, it all depends on how this person entered the United States. Not clear on what you mean by illegal. Is it this person entered the US legally but is currently out of status or did this person enter the US without legal authorization. If this person entered the US illegally, then this person may be eligible for consular processing if you marry this person. If this person entered the US legally but is currently out of status, then it is possible to get green card by marriage to you. More information is needed to answer your question more thoroughly. Speak with an immigration attorney to fully discuss this person's options of obtaining legal immigration documents in the US.