Skip to main content

How long does supervised visitation last for non custodial parents

Jamaica, NY |

i was indicated by child welfare for leaving my seven year old alone while going to store.Mother is filing sole custody and wants visitation till child is 12 with social worker. Lawyers have told me that supervised visits are likely. But i cannot afford SW hourly rate beyond an hour or two a month. I pay child support. How long does supervised visits last or are they indefinite.

Attorney Answers 3


Supervised visits are generally not for a specified period of time, and also generally do not continue for an extensive period of time. Courts are usually looking for you to do something prior to supervision being lifted, such as completing a parenting class, or having a number of successful supervised visits. If there are no other allegations against you other than leaving the child alone on one occasion, I would not expect it to be too long before the supervision requirement was lifted.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


It all depends on the reason for the supervision and how long it will take to correct the problem that brought about the supervision.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It may not be necessary to have the visits "supervised" by a SW that you must pay. In some cases, the court will allow visits under the supervision of a family member, so you should explore this possibility. I suggest you discuss your options in confidential detail with a local attorney--that will increase your chances of getting the best possible outcome. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Mark as helpful

4 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics