How long does supervised visitation last for non custodial parents

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

i was indicated by child welfare for leaving my seven year old alone while going to store.Mother is filing sole custody and wants visitation till child is 12 with social worker. Lawyers have told me that supervised visits are likely. But i cannot afford SW hourly rate beyond an hour or two a month. I pay child support. How long does supervised visits last or are they indefinite.

1. Susan Kathleen Duke

Pro

3

Answered . Supervised visits are generally not for a specified period of time, and also generally do not continue for an extensive period of time. Courts are usually looking for you to do something prior to supervision being lifted, such as completing a parenting class, or having a number of successful supervised visits. If there are no other allegations against you other than leaving the child alone on one occasion, I would not expect it to be too long before the supervision requirement was lifted.

2. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

1

4

Answered . It may not be necessary to have the visits "supervised" by a SW that you must pay. In some cases, the court will allow visits under the supervision of a family member, so you should explore this possibility. I suggest you discuss your options in confidential detail with a local attorney--that will increase your chances of getting the best possible outcome. Good luck!

3. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

1

Answered . It all depends on the reason for the supervision and how long it will take to correct the problem that brought about the supervision.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.