How long does police department have to turn in accident report?

Mcallen, TX |

I was in an accident about 3 weeks ago, my car was parked in the parking area of a restaurant and when I was about to leave I noticed the damage. The truck parked next to me had hit my car it still had the paint marks. The police arrived and filed the report, however, I was not able to get the insurance info from the driver since he was drunk and got arrested. The officer did collect all the information. It has almost been a month now and the PD keeps telling me the report is not ready, so I cant file a claim not having the insurance info. Ive tried to get ahold of the officer but apparently he is on administrative leave. How long do they legally have to have the report ready? and what can I do?

Unfortunately, this is a common problem due to understaffing and the fact that accident reports are low on the "priority list". Try asking them if they can provide you with the initial "face sheet" of the report or at least just give you the insurance information while the full report is pending.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

2. Sometimes they have to wait for test results and that can take time. But they can't hold it forever. You may have to get a lawyer to help. There are motions he can file to help ou get the report. Good luck.

3. Unfortunately in McAllen, Texas the police are not going to do any tests on the paint. Not going to happen in McAllen, Texas, probably not even for a murder case. Hire an attorney or sue that driver in small claims court.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/