How long does police department have to turn in accident report?

Asked over 2 years ago - Mcallen, TX

I was in an accident about 3 weeks ago, my car was parked in the parking area of a restaurant and when I was about to leave I noticed the damage. The truck parked next to me had hit my car it still had the paint marks. The police arrived and filed the report, however, I was not able to get the insurance info from the driver since he was drunk and got arrested. The officer did collect all the information. It has almost been a month now and the PD keeps telling me the report is not ready, so I cant file a claim not having the insurance info. Ive tried to get ahold of the officer but apparently he is on administrative leave. How long do they legally have to have the report ready? and what can I do?

1. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

3

Answered . Unfortunately in McAllen, Texas the police are not going to do any tests on the paint. Not going to happen in McAllen, Texas, probably not even for a murder case. Hire an attorney or sue that driver in small claims court.

2. Steven Mark Sweat

2

Best Answer

Answered . Unfortunately, this is a common problem due to understaffing and the fact that accident reports are low on the "priority list". Try asking them if they can provide you with the initial "face sheet" of the report or at least just give you the insurance information while the full report is pending.

3. Russell Greer Keener

Pro

2

Answered . Sometimes they have to wait for test results and that can take time. But they can't hold it forever. You may have to get a lawyer to help. There are motions he can file to help ou get the report. Good luck.