How long does my old job have to press charges for theft?

Van Wert, OH |

I was fired on November 4th from my old job. They are accusing me of theft. Then on November 9th it was documented at the police station and I had to go give my side of the story. At the time the police officer said they hadn't decided whether to drop it or press charges. I was just wondering how long they had to press charges?

1. If the value of the property alleged to have been stolen is under $1,000.00, the statute of limitations is two years. If the value id $1,000.00 or more, then it is six years.

I suggest that you don't contact the police or the alleged victim; they don't owe you an explanation. If you are arrested or summoned to court, consult a criminal defense lawyer immediately; otherwise, keep your mouth shut.

2. If they are trying to "get your side of the story," trust me, they are not. IF you went in to talk to them, you have already made a mistake. Talk to NO ONE. AND in the future, if the police want to talk to you, the ONLY words out of your mouth should be "I WANT AN ATTORNEY" THAT IS IT. Even the innocent should never talk to the police. Google "8 reasons that even the innocent should not talk to the police" It is not a good idea. I would imagine that at this point in time they are trying to put a case together against you and they will likely charge you at a later date, once they determine HOW and WHAT you stole. DO NOT talk about this on the internet nor with anyone else other then an attorney. Good luck. Hopefully they will not charge you, but I have limited facts.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at www.kirnerandboldt.com. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.