How long does my insurance has to close my claim?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fremont, CA

someone hit my car and run that was like between february10-15 of 2013.
i make a claim to my insurance Bristol that is with farmers they said they have to investigate
it's been over a month i call them again and they said to wait until they finish my concern is how long should i wait i think a month is more than enough maybe i am wrong that's why i need an answer what is the time frame that they have to investigate? it there any limit of time that they have? should i just wait?

1. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

4

Answered . A property damage should be taken care within the first three weeks of the accident. If not taken care, get your car out of the garage right away. Or you will end up paying a fortune or lose your car in the process. If you are lucky, your bodily injury case could be settled in six months but more likely from nine months to one year. There are cases that linger around but those are the complicated ones. If you have a PI case in California, the wise thing to do is hire your PI lawyer. He will not charge you anything until he collects money for you. Best of luck.

2. Sean Michael Patrick

3

Answered . It depends on the facts underlying the claim. Ultimately, if you feel like your insurance company is not properly investigating your claim, speak with an attorney who deals with insurance bad faith for an evaluation. Best of luck.

3. George Costas Andriotis

4

Answered . They typically don't have a time frame though the great majority of property damage claims are completed within a month.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  4. Olga V. Blotnis

4

Answered . A month is not a long time to investigate. There are many reasons why it is taking them so long, may be they are investigating if there was coverage or they are waiting for police report, etc. However, the next time you call, you should ask why it is taking so long and what is the time frame on their investigation.

5. Jason Todd Studinski

4

Answered . I don't know if there is a hard and fast timeline under California law. You may want to search "Calinfornia Fair Claims Settlement Practices Act". This type of law should set forth dealines for an insurance company to respond to your demand, etc...You may also contact your State Department of Insurance and ask questions and file a complaint if necessary. If you cannot get your claim resolved in a reasonable period of time (very shortly) you should consult with a lawyer. Good luck.

Pro

2

Answered . You may want to retain a local insurance lawyer to expedite.