How long does may it take the NY DMV to review an application for revoked license restoration immediately after DDP completion?

New York, NY |

The NY DDP brochure states that for suspended licenses one can apply for full license privleges immediately with the MV-2026 (notice of completion) at the DMV, however for revoked license a review of the motorists driving record is necessary before full issuance. Anyone know how long this usually takes? This is a first time DWI and I have a conditional license.

On first time DWIs with drivers 21 or older, with clean driving histories, and completion of the DDP the DMV will usually trump the Court's revocation period of 6 months and restore full driving privileges.

Caveats: If your DWI involved an accident and/or injuries then the DMV assesses negative units to your record which could affect eligibility. In addition, if you are convicted of multiple DWIs with the same date of arrest or have a history of any "at fault" accidents that could also affect eligibility. These also have negative units attached to them. DWIs, DWAIs, etc. have no points associated with them.

Generally, the DMV will check your record immediately upon your presentment, and either restore or not restore your full privilege license. Be mindful even full licenses once restored are on probation for 6 months. Any violation within that time period and goodbye license.

Lawrence (Larry) Newman, D.C., J.D. Licensed in NY, PA, NJ, & FL http://www.ithacainjurylawyer.com http://www.ithacadwi.com This is not a substitute for legal advice, nor is it to be construed as legal advice. I would recommend discussing this matter with a lawyer.

2. 1st timers are usually quick...days even.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. I'm not certain exactly but it happens pretty quickly