How long does it usually take to transfer parole from pa to nj?

Asked 8 months ago - Morrisville, PA

I am currently serving a 90 day house arrest sentence in bucks county, pa. mY first offense was in nj. when I went to court I was never told I would be put on parole. I was under the impression that I would be put on probation and could transfer once I was done. I have been A resident of new jersey since birth and only moved to bucks to serve my 90 day sentence. I read that the issuing state makes the final decesion. Is there any reason as to why they would deny my transfer? how long can I expect the process to take?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Theodor Kaplun

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It's going to be up to your PO or in the alternative you may make argument in front of a judge, my suggestion is to consult with a criminal defense attorney.

    The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute,... more
  2. William A. Jones Jr.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Your question is confusing because it doesn't reveal the overall sentence you received from the court in Bucks County. Transfers of supervision are governed by the Interstate Compact for the Supervision of Adult Offenders. The rules implementing this statute are entrusted to the Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision (ICAOS). They have a very thorough website that you may find helpful. Consulting with an attorney familiar with the process would be beneficial, and the probation department in Bucks County should be familiar with the rules for implementation. The link to their site is reproduced for you below.
    Good luck.

  3. Geoffrey David Hood


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You need to go to your probation officer in Bucks County and begin the transfer process. They will contact your home in county in New Jersey and determine whether it is willing to accept your case. If you only have a history for DUI, it is very likely that you will be able to transfer. This process can take some time because you are waiting for various agencies to respond.

    The above is a general answer but should not be considered specific legal advice for your case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,183 answers this week

2,618 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,183 answers this week

2,618 attorneys answering