How long does it usually take to hear back about an appeal in Family Court?

Ripley, WV |
Filed under: Family law

The appeal was filed a week shy of 60 days ago.

1. What does the appeal involve? That matters

2. I can see this is related to your earlier question. The appeal process can take a long time. It is a function of the complexity of the case and the court's ability to move through its cases. The only time an appeal is short, is usually because it's dismissed right away for being flawed or so meritless on its face. I do not know how long it takes cases to get thru appeal in WV. Here is Mass., it can often be 1 year+. You might be able to get a sense of how long from the clerk's office, but don't count on something quick. If circumstances change while the appeal is pending, you should be able to seek modification in the trial court.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state (in WV, on inactive status as of 9/13), I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.