How long does it usually take to get your back-pay settlement and start receiving benefits after being approved for disability?

Wilmington, NC |

I recieved a letter from Social Security on how much my montly check would be about 6-8 weeks ago.

In most cases monthly benefits start within about 45 days, and back due benefits are paid within 90 days or so. If there is workers' compensation involved, or outstanding debts to the government, or child support debt, I have seen payments take 4 to 6 months and, more rarely, longer.

If you do not have an attorney, contact your local US Senator's office and ak for help getting your benefits award processed. Senators' and US Representatives usually have staff who have their main job as trouble shooting SS or VA claims and getting benefits paid when approved.

Best of luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I concur with Attorney Farrell's succinct and accurate analysis of this situation. In my experience, the payment of back pay can take between 7 and 120 days from the date of the award.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

Recommended articles about Employment