How long does it usaually take superior court to make a decision after the oral argument is completed in a child custody appeal?

Langhorne, PA |

once a brief is filed and I went to the oral argument withfor a child custody appeal case in Pa, how long does it usually take for the superior court to make a decision after the oral argument is done? Is it a good sign that he has been almost 2 months after the oral argument and still no decision (I am the appellant)?

1. Two months is hardly any time at all in appellate court.

And the answer is it takes as long as it takes. There is no time limit.

2. There is no time restriction when an order is to be released. In reality, 2 months is nothing. If the case was dismissed as frivolous those are automatic. The fact it is still being held means they are writing the opinion still. However, there is no time and all you can do is be patient. All the best.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state

3. Superior Court actions for custody appeals are done using what is referred to as "Children's Fast Track." The basic idea is that in Children's Fast Track appeals the court understands that time is of the essence, so all of the procedural steps prior to oral argument are speeded up. While there is no set requirement for how long the court has to release their opinion, it has been my experience they are very quick, given the volume of cases they handle. Decisions in less than four months are not unusual.