How long does it takes for the court to approve and record an small estate affidavit?

Asked about 2 years ago - Katy, TX

I am buying a house and one of the owners passed away,

the title company needs the small estate affidavit.

It was turned in to the court last Monday.

What can I do to expedite the recording? Is in Fort Bent County, TX

1. Charles J. Smaistrla

4

Answered . It's hard to predict how long it will take the judge to review and approve a small estate avidavit. It may depend on how full the court docket is, and it varies a lot from one county to another. The previous attorney is correct that there's not much you can do, but you might call the court coordinator and ask how long it normally takes. Informing the coordinator of the urgency of the matter may help.

2. Eric B. Dick

Pro

2

Answered . The last small estate affidavit I did took a few weeks for the judge to sign. Not a whole lot you can do to expedite the judge signing the order.

I offer free consultations and am quite familiar with family judges in Harris County and nearby counties.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and office located in Harris County. His phone number is 832-207-2007 or 713-510-4500 or his email address is listed below.

Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

eric@dicklawfirm.com
    www.dicklawfirm.com

3. Randall S Perrier

Pro

2

Answered . Small Estate Affidavits typically take about 10 days to wind their way through most courts. You can always contact the court's clerk or case coordinator and check on the status of your case. I have had success explaining to the court personnel how time sensitive certain real estate matters are, that they will move your case along extra quickly to help you out. No guarantees, but a very polite request is sometimes honored.

Best of luck!