How long does it take to transfer felony probation to a different county?

Asked 8 months ago - Ocala, FL

the reason for transfer is because i'm moving. also i have not had any problems with my p.o

1. Alberto Marino Quirantes Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You must request a transfer from either your probation officer or from the court. If your probation officer can arrange transfer, you should ask them. If it has to be done by court order, it depends on how long it takes for the Judge's secretary to give you a court date for a motion for transfer. Depending on how crowded the Judge's docket is, you might get a hearing within 7 days after your request. You will also have to notify the state of your request for transfer court date.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . It should not take long, but if your po cannot or will not get it done, you have to get court permission.

3. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

Answered . Although s/he can be helpful, either way your PO has no say in the matter. Your lawyer must make a compelling presentation to the court, hopefully after having researched the viability of the proposed transfer.

To answer your question more directly though: It will take however long it takes for the Court to satisfy itself that the transfer is A) doable (that the receiving jurisdiction will accept the proposed transfer), B) reasonable and C) responsible.

I hope this has been helpful.