How long does it take to set up a living trust?

Soquel, CA |

I have a home an IRA and three other bank/security accounts

It really depends on how soon you want it and how soon your testamentary intent is clear in your mind.

The preparation of the declaration of trust, and other estate documents, is just the first step. Property, such as your home, must then be transferred to you, as trustee of the trust. The recording of that deed can take awhile since it is usually done through the mail and depends on the county recorder.

The whole process, unless rushed, can usually be easily completed in 10 days to two weeks, not including receiving the deed back from the recorder.

I am licensed in California only and my answers and information on Avvo assume California law. Answers and information provided by me is general information only. It is not legal advice. It must not be relied upon by you. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. Therefore, I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website between us are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to you by my participation on Avvo or because I have responded to a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that you do not lose any legal rights for failure to timely take appropriate action for your situation, and because I have not provided legal advice in response to your question, you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Shop around.
My office can do them in one day.
Funding bank accounts into the trust is accomplished
at your speed.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates