How long does it take to serve divorce papers after I file for divorce?

Asked about 3 years ago - Marne, MI

How long does it take to serve divorce papers after I file for divorce? I'm in Michigan.

1. Christine Marie Heckler

Answered . You are responsible for getting the divorce papers served on the Defendant. You may have it served by certified mail with restricted delivery and a return receipt or you can have the Defendant personally served by an adult non-party such as a professional process server. Alternatively, the Defendant can voluntarily acknowledge service by signing the proof of service on the back of the summons and complaint form. You must serve the Defendant within 90 days of filing the complaint. How long it will take to serve the Defendant will depend on how you choose to serve the Defendant and whether you can locate him or her.

2. Henry S. Gornbein

Pro

Answered . Once you file for divorce the papers can be served within a day or so, unless someone is trying to evade service and avoid being served. In that situation it could take longer.

Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein