Skip to main content

How long does it take to serve divorce papers after I file for divorce?

Marne, MI |

How long does it take to serve divorce papers after I file for divorce? I'm in Michigan.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You are responsible for getting the divorce papers served on the Defendant. You may have it served by certified mail with restricted delivery and a return receipt or you can have the Defendant personally served by an adult non-party such as a professional process server. Alternatively, the Defendant can voluntarily acknowledge service by signing the proof of service on the back of the summons and complaint form. You must serve the Defendant within 90 days of filing the complaint. How long it will take to serve the Defendant will depend on how you choose to serve the Defendant and whether you can locate him or her.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided as general information, which may not be appropriate for the specific facts of your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship has been established based on this limited communication. You are advised to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction before taking any action or inaction that may affect your legal rights.



How does the court know that the papers have been served? I filed last month and served via certified mail the same day. Not sure what my next step is.

Christine Marie Heckler

Christine Marie Heckler


You must file a proof of service with the court with the return receipt attached.


Once you file for divorce the papers can be served within a day or so, unless someone is trying to evade service and avoid being served. In that situation it could take longer.

Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer