Skip to main content

How long does it take to renew a conditional green card?

Los Angeles, CA |

I'm still married and my green card is about to expire after 2 years. I know they will send me a letter, after the letter, how long does it take for them to aprove it? What are the best documentations to send to avoid them to ask for more evidences? I'm sending tax return together for 2 years, house lease, bank account together, car insurance together, like 4 photos with his family, 2 friends are saying that know us. Will I be ok with it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First, you are on the right track. USCIS will not tell you to file the I-751 and will not remind you. You must take the initiative to file within 90 days prior to the expiration of the LPR date. Both of you must sign the I-751. Check it over carefully for errors and do not forget the filign fee. Yes, send copies of tax returns, joint bills, insurance, birth certs for children together, lots of photos in different locations, different occasions, with different people, at least ten or twelve, joint memberships like Sam's Club, affidavits from both sides of the family, mail sent to you with both names on the envelopes, proof of involvement with stepchildren if any. It takes about eight months to get the new card so hold on tight to the receipt you get. That receipt cannot be replaced if lost. It is your only evidence of continued lawful status and you will need it if you travel while waiting for the new card. Some local CIS offices will stamp your passport to extend your green card upon showing them the I-751 receipt but many will not. You cannot send enough evidence, so be generous with your filing. Most people do not get a request for evidence so do not worry. Check on your case regularly starting at the four month mark at using the receipt number. You are eligible for filing for naturalization at 90 days prior to the THREE year mark, so do not be surprised if you re able to file for naturalization almost immediately after getting the new card.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer