How long does it take to receive my settlement

Asked about 4 years ago - Louisville, MS

i was in a car accident on july 22 2010 i was not in faut. I was driving my boyfriend car he had insurance but she did not. I was taken to ER with left arm and left hip pain.a lawyer here in mississippi call me up after my accident . He ask as me was I having any pain yes I was my left arm still hurt today I have been through physical therapist a doctor . I have been release from the doctor all my paper work has been turn into my boyfriend insurance company. for about 3 week monday will be 4 weeks . I would like to know does it take to receive my settlement . thank you

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Do not fiddle around with this yourself and allow the insurance company to delay, deny and otherwise devalue your claim.

Personal injury attorneys nearly always give a free initial consultation.

The insurance industry’s own statistics indicate that once an attorney becomes involved, the value of any claim at least doubles.

Put those two facts together and it is in your best interest to retain experienced legal counsel at your earliest possible convenience.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

2. Michael John Tario

Pro

Answered . I can't tell from your question if you have hired an attorney or if you have been offered a settlement by the lawyer for the insurance company. If a lawyer called you up and asked you if you have pain, that does not sound like you hired that attorney. Almost always to hire an attorney you have to go to their office and sign a retainer agreement and medical release documents. If an attorney offered a settlement to you they are from the at fault person's insurance company. If you agreed to settle for a certain dollar amount it usually takes between two and four weeks for the settlement to be final. If you have not hired an attorney you should contact a qualified personal injury attorney to look into this for you. Very few lay people know what a fair settlement amount would be. Insurance companies often take advantage of the lay public and offer settlements for much less than the case is worth. Be careful. If you have not hired an attorney, schedule an appointment with an attorney as soon as you can...Good Luck.

3. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

Answered . Did you hire this attorney? If so, it shouldn't take him more than a few weeks to request and receive the final records and bills and compile a settlement demand package. It usually takes about 3-4 weeks after submitting this to the insurance company for them to respond. BE CAREFUL, there are strict time limits on filing a lawsuit if you are not able to settle the case so consult with your attorney IMMEDIATELY to determine what this is in MS.

4. Michael Edward Atwater

Answered . sk your attorney.

My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed to practice in the appropriate jurisdiction where the legal issue may be filed or in the state where the law applies.