How Long does it take to receive my Employment Authorization Card after the biometrics appointment?

Asheville, NC |

My husband- an US citizen- filed the I 130 with my I485 and I765 forms. I have my biometric appoinment schedule in 3 weeks, I need my Emplyment Authorization Card in order to keep working on my current company. I'm wondering how long it takes after the biometric has been taken to receive it.

1. It really depends. The general time frame for a complete immediate family member adjustment (without ancillary inadmissibility issues) process ranges between 6 months and 1 year and a half from the date of filing. Beyond that there is really no way of telling.

If you have not already spoken with an immigration attorney about your case, I highly suggest that you do so as marriage based adjustments can often be more complex than they seem.

You can find an immigration attorney by going to www.aila.org (click on "Find a Lawyer").

No information contained in this message, unless expressly denoted therefor, is intended to establish any attorney client relationship. No attorney-client relationship exists between us (Peter Acker and his associates and you) unless a written retainer or fee agreement has been signed and issued to you.

2. It can take up to 90 days from the filing date of the I-765 until the employment authorization card is produced. Generally it has been taking less than that, but if you are facing termination of your employment, you or your employer could write to the USCIS office processing your I-765 asking to expedite it due to the severe financial loss to you and/or your employer in the event that termination is necessary.

3. It usually takes up to 90 days to get the EAD. However, as my colleague has stated you can ask for expedited processing. You should also consult with an immigration attorney on your case just to make sure everything is done properly. Good luck.

Mr. Lorenzon's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an immigration attorney. Mr. Lorenzon can be reached at 216 573 7322 or at jlorenzon@lorenzonlaw.com. All initial constulations are free.