How long does it take to process i-130 and ask for Affidavit of support?

Denton, TX |

how long does it take to process i-130 and ask for Affidavit of support? i have submitted i-130 for my wife who is overseas and waiting for further action on this

Processing time for the I-130 is around 5 months. When you get the receipt notice, you can use the receipt number to track its progress online at uscis.gov.

If you are a citizen, then within a couple months after the I-130 approval, you should get the fee bills. After those are paid, you will submit the DS-230/260 along with the Affidavit of Support and other documentation.

If you are a resident, then you will have to wait for the Priority Date on the I-130 approval notice to become current. The Visa Bulletin is updated each month on travel.state.gov.

I recommend meeting with an attorney to ensure that you understand the process and that all of the correct documentation is being submitted.

Depends on the category the I-130 falls under.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics