How long does it take to process child support ?

Brainerd, MN |

my ex girlfriend recently filed for child support in minnesota from me. how long does it typically take to process this and for money to start coming out of my check? she is applying for assistance if that changes any thing?

There is no typical timeline. It varies from county to county and from one child support magistrate or judge to another. Since you said you ex girlfriend, I am assuming that this child was born without benefit of marriage. What that means for you is that you have no parental rights. You may be required to pay child support, but you have no custody or parenting time rights until a judge grants them to you. If you want to have a meaningful relationship with your child -- one that the mother can't deny you -- you need to retain an attorney and start the legal process to obtain those rights. That process -- obtaining your legal rights as a parent -- will be conducted in the district court. If the only issue is child support, that process will take place in child support court. The child support court has no authority to grant you any parental rights.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody