How long does it take to obtain a green card for a parent and also sister or brother of a US citizen?

Alexandria, VA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Hi, I noticed that there has been a change in the process time since Nov 30, 2012, when applying for green card for a parent of a US citizen. Also for applying for a Sister or brother of a US citizen. My question is how long does it really take for them to get a green card?

Patents - under a year. Brother/sister - depends on the country but at least 12 years and as I said it can be more depending on the country.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Parents could take 6-10 months, depending on how smoothly everything goes (especially at the embassy stage). Brothers and sisters are in the last preference category and take a very long time (10-12 years).

The statement above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is intended as general information only and it is not a substitute for legal advice. You should consult with a licensed attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your case.

Thank you for your help, you mentioned the embassy stage, what kind of financial support do i need to show green card for my mother? i dont work.

My father supports me from overseas, and my parents are divorced.

Efe Poturoglu

Efe Poturoglu

Then this is going to be the challenging part of your case. Unfortunately I cannot provide useful advice unless I have more facts, and this forum is not the right place to discuss such case-specific strategies. I strongly reccommend that you at least set up a consultation with an immigration attorney, whether it is myself or one of my esteemed colleagues, to determine a strategy for the financial sponsorship issue.

I would love to talk to you if you have time, how can i reach you? and when?

Parents of U.S. citizens are considered "immediate relatives" and visas are available. Processing times take about 6-8 months. Siblings of U.S. citizens must wait for a visa number to become available. The wait can exceed 12 years, depending on what country they are from.

You should consult with an attorney to discuss an appropriate plan (perhaps plan for the parent to file for your brothers or sisters after they immigrate to the U.S., although usually it is advisable for you to do the I-130 as well, in case your parent decides not to immigrate, abandons residence, passes away or something else happens. )

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.