How long does it take to obtain a green card for a parent and also sister or brother of a US citizen?

Asked over 1 year ago - Alexandria, VA

Hi, I noticed that there has been a change in the process time since Nov 30, 2012, when applying for green card for a parent of a US citizen. Also for applying for a Sister or brother of a US citizen. My question is how long does it really take for them to get a green card?

1. Irene Vaisman

1

Answered . Patents - under a year. Brother/sister - depends on the country but at least 12 years and as I said it can be more depending on the country.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Efe Poturoglu

Answered . Parents could take 6-10 months, depending on how smoothly everything goes (especially at the embassy stage). Brothers and sisters are in the last preference category and take a very long time (10-12 years).

3. Lisa A. Tehlirian

Pro

Answered . Parents of U.S. citizens are considered "immediate relatives" and visas are available. Processing times take about 6-8 months. Siblings of U.S. citizens must wait for a visa number to become available. The wait can exceed 12 years, depending on what country they are from.

4. Toni Maschler

Answered . You should consult with an attorney to discuss an appropriate plan (perhaps plan for the parent to file for your brothers or sisters after they immigrate to the U.S., although usually it is advisable for you to do the I-130 as well, in case your parent decides not to immigrate, abandons residence, passes away or something else happens. )