How long does it take to move an inmate from one state to another?

Asked about 5 years ago - Norman, OK

My husband was arrested in another state for a warrent here in Oklahoma. The said they were transferring him here and he would be here in a few days, It has now been over a week and I don't have any idea where he is. How long can or will this tak?

1. Ari Michael Trubitt

Answered . You didn't say what State he was arrested in. Your Husband has to be extradited back to OK. I know that under Illinois procedures, if he waives the extradition hearing, then OK would have 30 days within which to tender a "Governor's Warrant" which would then permit OK authorities to bring him back. If he contests the extradition, then they have 90 days within which to obtain said warrant. If OK fails to provide the Governor's Warrant within the prescribed time, then your husband will be released from custody. Without knowing what State he was arrested in, I cannot say whether the same procedures would be followed, as they may differ somewhat from State to State.

2. Howard Woodley Bailey

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague, that there are time frames built into the extradition statutes longer then the one you indicated, and also note that the transportation itself can take a significant period of time. This will most likely be done by bus, via a route the transport company will use to pick-up and drop off other extradition transportees. If he is being extradited back to OK, he needs a lawyer (if he does not already have one), the lawyer should be able to get some additional information as to the date when he is picked up, and an approximation of when he will actually arrive. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER
    I do not practice law in your State. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . Well, he's not going to be flown back first class. Several questions come first such as extradition which is discussed by my colleagues. After that it takes an ungodly time for the authorities to move prisoners around. I don't know why but it does. The 30-90 day time frame seems reasonable.