How long does it take to get your US citizenship after you marry a US citizen?

after i get my conditional permanent residency, i would wait 2 years to get my conditional status removed. would i then have to only wait 1 more year to apply for citizenship?

1. Yes. Time spent as a conditional resident counts toward the 3 year residence requirement for naturalization where you are living in marital union with your U.S. citizen spouse. A permanent resident can apply for citizenship up to 90 days in advance of the third anniversary of being granted resident status. After filing for citizenship, it may take several months to be scheduled for an interview and an oath ceremony.

Scott D. Pollock
    Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
    105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
    Chicago, IL 60602
    (312) 444-1940
    fax: (312) 444-1950
    e-mail: spollock@lawfirm1.com
    internet: www.lawfirm1.com

Please visit our renovated website at www.lawfirm1.com, which allows client access to case status, enhanced information on services, and other convenient features.

2. Assuming you are still married to the spouse you obtained permanent residence through, and you are otherwise eligible, you may apply 2 years and 9 months after becoming a conditional permanent resident. The processing times vary, depending on where you reside at the time of filing. It is wise to consult an attorney who has experience in immigration law, to go over the details of your case prior to filing any applications or petitions.