How long does it take to get reply after sending in immigration documents

Asked over 1 year ago - Norfolk, VA

My wife is waiting for a reply from immigration after her atty sent in papers.She's trying to get work permit and green card.

My wife is in the United States and she needs her green card and work permit.We got married here in Virginia in July 2012..Her work visa has expired.

1. Yasmin Kayiran

1

Answered . It is hard to answer your question without some more information. Is your wife in the United States? Is she applying for a green card through marriage or some other family relation? The wait time will depend on where the application is processed and the basis on which she applied for the green card (i.e., family or employment based).

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . She needs to direct the question to her attorney.

3. Christopher Michael Pogue

1

Answered . USCIS is required to issue an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) within 90 days of filing your petition. You can determine the date of filing by looking at your I-765 Receipt Notice. However if a Request for Evidence (RFE) is issued the 90 days will toll for the time it takes you to properly respond to the RFE. Similarly failure to attend a biometric appointment will delay the approval of an EAD as well.

Good luck. Don't forget to ask your attorney these questions. It's what you are paying them for. If they can't answer your questions, you need a new attorney.