How long does it take to get released from jail after it is determined that you will be released? Do they do it 24 hours/day?

Filed under: Criminal defense

My friend was arrested 2 days ago for a failure to appear on a moving violation that is 3 years old. He appeared in front of a judge today and was told he would be processed and released. What is this process like? How long does it take? He is at LA County Jail - do they release people 24 hours a day? It was about 8 hours ago that he found out he was free to go, but he is still in there, and nobody answers the phone when you call.

Unfortunately, there is no timetable that anyone can give you with great accuracy because the release process in the Los Angeles County Jail system is inefficient and can take a very long time. It is not uncommon for an inmate to wait anywhere from 12-24 hours to be processed and released. Sometime, it can take even longer. They do release inmates at all hours of the day. I recently had a client released at 3:30am.

Karen L. Goldstein