How long does it take to get H4 approved for someone who is already in the US (currently on L2)

Asked almost 3 years ago - New York, NY

If I apply for H4 based on my husbands approved H1.Is it likely that my H4 petition will get approved before 19 Dec 2011 (which is the date my husbands Status will change from L1 to H1)

Note:My husband is currently in L1 and me on L2.

1. Jacob Jan Sapochnick

Pro

Answered . It is best to check the processing times for form I-539 for the exact time frame. But typically it takes about 90 days to get the H4 processed. If filed along with the H1B case, H4 cases are processed at the same time. So if you file the H1B premium processing along with the H4 request the case can be processed in 15 days.

But in your case, the H1B is already approved so you are looking at 90 days more or less.

2. William D. Fong

Answered . If your husband has already been approved for a change of status with an effective date, your I-539 COS can request that same date.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Estimated processing times are as posted on the USCIS website.

4. C. C. Abbott

Answered . Attorney Ferrari has provided an accurate comment. You need to use the USCIS site for the local times for processing as it varies in different regions of the US.