How long does it take to get from Green Card to Citizen?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I have a valid Green Card -- have had it for around 8 years (married an American citizen). I am thinking about becoming an American citizen (I am presently a British citizen). Can anyone knowledgeable in this field tell me how long, on average, it takes to get citizenship once you have filed the paperwork? I am wondering whether I would get citizenship by next June (2013), which is when my present G Card expires.

Additional information

I should also add that I have a clean legal record, am an upright citizen, etc etc.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Although the USCIS is inconsistent in the amount of time it takes to adjudicate naturalization petitions, the Atlanta Field Office generally schedules a naturalization interview/examination within approximately four months of filing. The Atlanta Field Office has discontinued "same-day ceremonies," and naturalization oath ceremonies generally are scheduled within a few weeks of a successful interview/examination.

    As mentioned by others in reply to your post, time estimates are based upon having a relatively straight-forward application that has been properly prepared and documented. There are many details that can cause delays -- and it is not uncommon for any delay to take longer than the original processing period (the Atlanta Field Office does not consider itself to be unduly delayed unless it takes more than 9 months from the date of its last step, such as a request for additional documents). Representation by an immigration attorney will help assure that an application is properly prepared and documented to avoid delays or even more serious problems.

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

    David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway, Poorak & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 *

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A straightforward process, all other things being equal/no problems, five to six months from filing to interview.

    Consult an attorney for help on the filing.

  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Should not take more than 6 moths ( sometimes even 3) if no adverse issues.

    Reza Athari
    Attorney at Law
    Certified Specialist - Immigration and Nationality Law
    State Bar of California - Board of Legal Specialization

    Main office: Las Vegas, Nevada
    Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

    3365 Pepper Lane, Suite 102
    Las Vegas, NV 89120
    Telephone: (702) 727-7777
    Fax: (702) 458-8508
    Toll free: (800) 565-2030

    Barstow, California
    Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

    309 East Mountain View Street, Suite 104
    Barstow, CA 92311
    Telephone: (760) 957-7220
    Fax: (760) 957-7396

    St. George, Utah
    Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

    1036 East Red Hills Parkway, Suite D
    St. George, UT 84770
    Telephone: (435) 656-1136
    Fax: (435) 656-1145

    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

    525 W 5300 S Suite 150
    Murray, UT 84123
    Telephone: (801) 262-LAW7
    Fax: (801) 281-9603
    If you have a SKYPE account, we may now video-conference or conduct a conference call on the computer from and to anywhere in the world for free. More information may be found at

  4. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 6 months or less.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,337 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,337 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering