How long does it take to get approval for brining my wife from Taiwan into US by filing I130?

Taiban, NM |

I am an US citizen and I have filed I130 early January 2013 and received acceptance notification. My wife and I are both overseas in Taiwan now. I have filed I130 to Chicago Lockbox. How long does it take to get I130 approved and bring my wife into US? I am also considering to file I29F but see many discussions saying that there's no benefit filing I129F and it might take longer and costs more. Should I file I129F or just wait for I130 to be approved? If I do file I129F at the same time, will this cause delay for my I130? If I get approved of K3 and I130 at the same time, I can ignore K3 as this is no longer valid and proceed with immigration, right? Thank you all for your answers

1. Usually this procedure takes between 6 months and 1 year. A K-3 may be a month or two faster.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Could take more than a year (easily). File the K-3 as soon as you get the I-130 receipt

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree with my colleagues. The normal time frame is between 6 months and 1 year. But if there are any issues with documents submitted, it could very well be longer. Filing I-129F should not delay the I-130 because it is being processed separately. I-129 is meant to allow your spouse into the country while she is waiting for an approved I-130. You should not ignore the K-3 as it may allow your spouse into the country sooner than the I-130.