Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

How long does it take to get approval for brining my wife from Taiwan into US by filing I130?

I am an US citizen and I have filed I130 early January 2013 and received acceptance notification. My wife and I are both overseas in Taiwan now. I have filed I130 to Chicago Lockbox. How long does it take to get I130 approved and bring my wife into US? I am also considering to file I29F but see many discussions saying that there's no benefit filing I129F and it might take longer and costs more. Should I file I129F or just wait for I130 to be approved? If I do file I129F at the same time, will this cause delay for my I130? If I get approved of K3 and I130 at the same time, I can ignore K3 as this is no longer valid and proceed with immigration, right? Thank you all for your answers

Taiban, NM -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Usually this procedure takes between 6 months and 1 year. A K-3 may be a month or two faster.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

Could take more than a year (easily). File the K-3 as soon as you get the I-130 receipt

Venessa Masterson

Venessa Masterson

Immigration Attorney - Lowell, MA

I agree with my colleagues. The normal time frame is between 6 months and 1 year. But if there are any issues with documents submitted, it could very well be longer. Filing I-129F should not delay the I-130 because it is being processed separately. I-129 is meant to allow your spouse into the country while she is waiting for an approved I-130. You should not ignore the K-3 as it may allow your spouse into the country sooner than the I-130.

Related Advice