Skip to main content

How long does it take to get an Employment Authorization Document?

University, MS |

I am currently working in the US on a J-1 visa but have recently (Feb 2013) sent in my application for a green card. I've applied for an Employment Authorization Document as well but have not yet received any kind of confirmation or reference number for my pending case. My J-1 expires at the end of March and my employer would like to to extend it and keep me in my current position for another year. Can I renew my J-1 while the Green Card application is pending? If not and I do not receive the Employment Authorization Document in time is there another way for me to get a permit to work? I would hate to loose my job just because the paperwork is hung up.

Attorney Answers 3


You can look on the back of the cancelled check to see the case number and then check the status online or with an Infopass appointment. EADs can take anywhere from 30-90 days for approval.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer


I would say about 90 days, but you do need to see an immigration attorney for fact specific analysis.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


Usually, it takes 60-90 days to get it. However, you need to see if you are eligible for it at all. It depends on what basis you filed your adjustment application.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Mark as helpful

4 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics