How long does it take to get an Employment Authorization Document?

Asked over 1 year ago - University, MS

Hi
I am currently working in the US on a J-1 visa but have recently (Feb 2013) sent in my application for a green card. I've applied for an Employment Authorization Document as well but have not yet received any kind of confirmation or reference number for my pending case. My J-1 expires at the end of March and my employer would like to to extend it and keep me in my current position for another year. Can I renew my J-1 while the Green Card application is pending? If not and I do not receive the Employment Authorization Document in time is there another way for me to get a permit to work? I would hate to loose my job just because the paperwork is hung up.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

8

Answered . I would say about 90 days, but you do need to see an immigration attorney for fact specific analysis.

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

5

4

Answered . Usually, it takes 60-90 days to get it. However, you need to see if you are eligible for it at all. It depends on what basis you filed your adjustment application.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

4

Answered . You can look on the back of the cancelled check to see the case number and then check the status online or with an Infopass appointment. EADs can take anywhere from 30-90 days for approval.