How long does it take to get a work permit after marrying a US citizen and applying for adjustment of status?

Asked about 3 years ago - Gig Harbor, WA

Me and my US citizen husband applied for marriage license and we will get married on Sept. 5.. After that I will immediately apply for adjustment of status. While waiting for a green card, can i legally work? I already have a Social security number because i used to have a J1 visa, and im not required to the 2 year waiver thing.I dont have work permit. How can i get it and how long before I get it?I really want to work..And another question,im also planning to study or enroll myself to a school like a 6-month training courses,do i need a visa to legally study here in the US.thanks

Additional information

As of now i have a pending I-539 application which I submitted before my J1 visa expired (june15,2011) A lawyer said its ok to adjust my status while it is pending...just an additional info

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andre R. Olivie

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . My clients in your situation usually get their work permit around 90 days. Are you currently in status? If you are not currently in status and plan to remain in status, you should have an attorney prepare your applications for you. If they are not done correctly you could be placed in removal proceedings and that would be a huge headache. Your change of status if it is to something like a B-2 or F-1, will likely be denied with a pending adjustment case.

    I would advise you to speak with an attorney before you file anything.

    Andre Olivie, Esq.

    Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not... more
  2. Elizabeth Rose Blandon


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You can work when you obtain an employment authorization document. Ninety days to to obtain, provided the applicant does not make mistakes with the filing. Mistakes delay everything and avoiding mistakes is a good reason to hire an expert.

    Ask the school whether you need a visa. Different classes, different schools, have different requirements.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . around 90 days.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,332 answers this week

3,241 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,332 answers this week

3,241 attorneys answering