How long does it take to get a work permit after marrying a US citizen and applying for adjustment of status?

Asked about 3 years ago - Gig Harbor, WA

Me and my US citizen husband applied for marriage license and we will get married on Sept. 5.. After that I will immediately apply for adjustment of status. While waiting for a green card, can i legally work? I already have a Social security number because i used to have a J1 visa, and im not required to the 2 year waiver thing.I dont have work permit. How can i get it and how long before I get it?I really want to work..And another question,im also planning to study or enroll myself to a school like a 6-month training courses,do i need a visa to legally study here in the US.thanks

As of now i have a pending I-539 application which I submitted before my J1 visa expired (june15,2011) A lawyer said its ok to adjust my status while it is pending...just an additional info

1. Andre R. Olivie

Answered . My clients in your situation usually get their work permit around 90 days. Are you currently in status? If you are not currently in status and plan to remain in status, you should have an attorney prepare your applications for you. If they are not done correctly you could be placed in removal proceedings and that would be a huge headache. Your change of status if it is to something like a B-2 or F-1, will likely be denied with a pending adjustment case.

I would advise you to speak with an attorney before you file anything.

Andre Olivie, Esq.
    206-724-1940

2. Elizabeth Rose Blandon

Pro

Answered . You can work when you obtain an employment authorization document. Ninety days to to obtain, provided the applicant does not make mistakes with the filing. Mistakes delay everything and avoiding mistakes is a good reason to hire an expert.

Ask the school whether you need a visa. Different classes, different schools, have different requirements.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . around 90 days.