How long does it take to get a settlement payment after a hearing was made through workers comp?

Newark, NJ |

My hearing was on December 16, 2011, and I ended up winning my case. I was wondering how long it takes for a workers comp case to send the money in the state of New Jersey.

The insurance carrier must make payment within 60 days, although they usually do so in a shorter time period.

Typically, and depending on the insurance company, it takes about four weeks. But I have seen as short as two weeks and as long as eight weeks. Sometimes, the insurance company will miss the 60 day deadline, but that's very unusual.

I agree with my colleagues, but only add that if they are more than 60 days in paying, you may make a motion to compel payment and if you have an attorney that attorney may seek a counsel fee for the delay. Usually, your attys phone call to the adversary solves the rare delay over 60 days.

By answering this question I am not creating an attorney client relationship with you. This should not be construed as legal advice. You shoudl retain an attorney if you seek legal advice.