How long does it take to get a response from the Appellant court 2nd division NYC for a poor man's relief appeal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

An appeal and a form for poor man's relief in was filed since November 2012 in Brooklyn NYC and still no response. How long does it take to determine if a lawyer can take your case? I understand it takes forever to do appeals but why does it take so long to get a lawyer if the person is in prison and has no financial resources?

1. John M. Cromwell

Pro

4

1

Answered . It should not take that long. You can contact the court directly or you can ask the lawyer who handled the case at the trial level who should have filed the notice of appeal and possibly the poor person application as well.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

4

1

Answered . It depends on the case.
    Call the clerk and ask about the status.
    718-875-1300

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

1

Answered . There is no set time.

4. John J. Carney

Pro

1

1

Answered . You should talk to the Legal Aid lawyer who filed the motion or call the clerk of the court in the Appellate Division to make sure it was complete with the necessary affidavit from the defendant. The appeal has to be perfected in 180 days.