How long does it take to get a I-130 approved?

Rochester, MN |

I submitted an I-130 for my husband in February 2013, and wondering when it will be approved. I'm a US citizen, and been married for over 5 years.

1. 4-6 months. On average. For straightforward cases.

2. I assume you filed a free-standing I-130 due to the fact that he is either not in the US, or is in the US without having entered lawfully.

Otherwise, if he is here and last entered lawfully, you may have made a mistake.

4-6 months is normal for a free-standing I-130. But, that's when the SLOW process begins ... again assuming you're required to process at a US Consul outside of the US.

Consulting with an attorney would be a wise move on your part. Many of us consult by phone/Skype.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. I agree. 4-6 months.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

4. I agree with my colleagues. You should have an approved I-130 in a few months, but the process will not end there.

5. Estimated processing times are as posted on the USCIS website.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.