How long does it take to get a conditional license in New York State and what will I need to bring to the DMV?

Angola, NY |

My license was suspended about 5 months ago for non payment of tickets. I couldn't afford them at the time. I was pulled over for speeding and arrested for driving with a suspended license. I can't keep having people drive me to and from work. How long does it take to get one and what will I need to bring to the DMV?

You have to clear the suspensions before you can get any type of license.

If you clear them, you get a full license, not a conditional.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

If and when you clear up your suspensions you will be able to receive a regular license and you wouldn't need a conditional license.

I do not believe given the facts that you present that you are eligible for a conditional license. Start working towards clearing up those tickets.

Richard Southard
I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office who has been specializing in criminal law for over 15 years. I offer free consultations by telephone, in-office or by videoconference.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets