How long does it take to get a bankruptcy discharge in GA?

Atlanta, GA |

Filed in Dec. - had creditors meeting early Jan.

Haven't heard anything and would like to know. Thank you.

1. Your attorney can tell you more, but the date has to be at least 60 days after your hearing. Usually it takes a few weeks past that.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

2. You should receive your discharge during April. Once your hearing is concluded your creditors have 60 days in which to file an objection. The discharge usually is received 2 to 4 weeks later.

3. To understand the BK process, check out my "legal guide" on this subject on my profile page of this website. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

4. Creditors have a 60 day window to object after the s341 meeting. You should receive your discharge shortly thereafter, prior to the closing of your case, unless of course you signed a stip extending time for the trustee to object to your discharge.

5. Check with your attorney to see if any creditor has filed an objection to discharge.

No attorney client relationship exists unless we have a written contract. Nothing in this post should be interpreted as legal advice.

6. If no objection is filed, the average time from filing is four (4) months.