Skip to main content

How long does it take to finally get a divorce decree after the final judgment?

San Diego, CA |

When/after the final judgment has been duly signed by both parties, how long will it take to get the divorce finalized and have a divorce decree issued?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Signing the Judgment is only one part. The Judgment, Notice of Entry, and any other documents must be submitted to the court. You will need an original and one for conforming, along with an envelope for the court to mail the documents back. Has that been submitted to the court yet?

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship or privilege between you and the attorney responding. Do not use this or any answer by the responding attorney as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney practicing in the area in which your question pertains with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law frequently changes and will be different from state to state. The response provided above is general in nature, and is based solely on the facts provided in the question. Fact not included in the question may have a bearing on the response


You need to submit more than a Judgment to the Court. In addition, you need to submit a Notice of Entry of Judgment, addressed and stamped envelopes for the clerk to mail the Notice of Entry to you and your spouse with, an Appearance, Stipulation and Waivers form, and a Declaration re Default or Uncontested Dissolution. Also, both parties need to submit to the court their Declaration re Service of Declaration of Disclosure and Income and Expense Declaration.

You should submit the originals and at least two copies of each document to the Court, along with a large self-addressed, stamped envelope, for the clerk to mail the conformed Judgment to you.

The processing time for stipulated Judgments varies from court to court, and can be from a couple of weeks to over two months.

You should consult with a Divorce Lawyer to review your documents in order to ensure that they aren't rejected by the Court.


Technically, it is not the Judgment of Marital Dissolution that it is signed by the parties, it is the Marital Settlement Agreement, which is then attached to the Judgment.

With that said, you must submit the Judgment of Marital Dissolution, the Marital Settlement Agreement and all other required documents (to see what forms you need, go to, then click on "Family", then "Forms" then "Family Law Judgment Checklist"). Once submitted to the Court, the turnaround time can vary-- it can be a week, sometimes it can be a month.

The most important thing that you can do is follow the Family Law Judgment Checklist, because if you to not follow it to the "T," the clerk will reject your Judgment and you will have to re-submit the entire Judgment packet (and go through the same waiting process all over again).

DISCLAIMER: This answer is for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of California law, not to provide specific legal advice. By reading this answer, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and Happ Law Group P.C.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer