Skip to main content

How long does it take to file a case in tarrant county ?

Arlington, TX |

I was caught shoplifting , theft 50-500 and spent a night in jail before I got myself bonded out with a bond amount of 750$. It has been over a month since this incident happened and I have not got any court notice yet ? My lawyer said that I would be getting a notice from tarrant county court, so I wanted to know how long it generally takes for the court to file the case .

My second question is, it's a theft 50-500 ( 56$ to be precise). Can I get the charge lowered to a class C misdemeanor and then fight for a deffered abjuction and later get the case expunged ?
What is my best available option ?

I have a clean record with good academic background. I am currently on my F1 doing my MBA.
How would this offense effect me in the future (if it is expunged)?

Please help
Thank you

Attorney Answers 3


These are all questions for your attorney. They will be able to give you information and advice on all of your questions. The District Attorney's Office will file the charge against you. I don't think one month is an unreasonably long time for a case to be filed if you've bonded out.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Your attorney will be able to help you determine the best options for handling the case. Some courts are slower than others and depending on the charge and case load. As far as a case being expunged, your attorney will be able to answer that question.

The information provided does not constitute legal advice and is presented without any representation or warranty whatsoever, including as to the accuracy or completeness of the information. Always contact an attorney when seeking legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I am a criminal defense lawyer in Fort Worth, TX. The state has at least two years to file this theft charge against you. The first thing to look at is the value of the property to see if the value was over-estimated. If worth under $50, then it is automatically a class C misdemeanor. If you are between 17 and 21 with a clean record, there is a great program that could be available. You do not want any theft conviction. In my opinion a class B deferred probation is preferable to a class C conviction, because you may be able to hide the class B from the general public by filing a Non-disclosure motion, if you successfully complete probation. A class C conviction, could not be hidden. Talk to your lawyer about any programs and how they will effect your record.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics