How long does it take to discharge a chapter 7 bk? My creditor meeting was in December.

Norco, CA |

We have a reaffirmation hearing tomorrow. Is that slowing the process? Does my husband need to be present for the reaffirmation hearing?

The reaffirmation agreement held up the process. I had a case where I filed a Motion regarding a reaffirmation agreement. That held up the discharge. However, it does not give creditors more time to file objections. It just delays with respect to this one issue. A discharge should come shortly after the hearing.

2. The court or your attorney have probably stalled the issuance of the discharge because you cannot reaffirm a debt after the discharge. If you are having a hearing that probably means the Court thinks you will have trouble making the payments on the debt. Normally the discharge is issued 3.5 months after the 341 meeting.

3. You cannot reaffirm a debt after a discharge is granted. Thus, the court will not grant you a discharge until after the reaffirmation hearing. My guess is that you should get a discharge shortly after the hearing. Good luck.

Alon Nager
    Russack Associates, LLC
    100 Severn Ave., Ste. 101, Annapolis, MD 21403
    410-575-3917
    alon@russacklaw.com

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. You cannot reaffirm a debt after a discharge is granted. Thus, the court will not grant you a discharge until after the reaffirmation hearing. My guess is that you should get a discharge shortly after the hearing. Good luck.

Alon Nager
    Russack Associates, LLC
    410-575-3917
    alon@russacklaw.com