How long does it take to appoint a voluntary administrator?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

my step uncle died without a will and have a brokerage account of about 48,000 dollars between cash and stocks. If my step father request to be voluntary administrator, how long would it take to be appointed and can the value in the account make a difference on using the small estate affidavit form?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Rudolf J. Karvay

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Since the account is over $30,000 in value, your step-father must file a petition for "full" letters of administration. He cannot use the small estate affidavit form. Preparing the petition would take very little time, but the proceeding would have to go through the court process and it is difficult to gauge how much time the court will take. Another factor which may increase the time involved is whether or not there are other interested persons that are entitled to notice.

    If your step-uncle had other siblings besides your step-father, they would be entitled to notice in the form of a citation or they would need to sign a waiver and consent form. Below, I have provided links to additional information on the subject.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship has been formed. Before choosing... more

Related Topics

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.

Estate administration

Estate administration is the process of finalizing a deceased person's estate. It involves gathering assets, paying debts and distributing remaining assets.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,063 answers this week

3,464 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,063 answers this week

3,464 attorneys answering