How long does it take my parents get green card while they are in US

Ellicott City, MD |

Hello
I am a US citizen and my parents entered US lawfully, then I applied for green card, it is almost 6 months passed, no news. They did fingerprint but the process stopes on background check for 6 month. Now their visa is expired, I think they should consider legal as they are waiting for green card but i am not sure, is that right
Do you kow for Baltimore how long the process will take
Thanks

I am Iranian originally, does it help to have longer processing time for my parents For info pass should I take my parents with me or I can go by myself Thanks

1. They should be fine as their status is adjustment of status pending.

Check on USCIS.gov for processing times. You can also type in your receipt number to see where the particular application is in the process, but keep in mind that USCIS does not update the system regularly.

6 months isn't that long. The national averages are 6-9 months.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

2. The processing time in Baltimore in under 6 months. You may want to schedule an InfoPass appointment.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. This should not have taken more than 4-6 months. I'd retain counsel immediately to begin inquiring with USCIS as to the obstacles in the case.

4. As stated by colleagues, Baltimore recent processing time is under 6 months. An infopass appointment may be helpful. If not, you should consult an attorney experienced in dealing with USCIS Baltimore to advocate for you and your parents. Depending upon their country of origin, military history, and/or political involvement, there may be specific reasons for the delay. Or it could be a random error/delay by USCIS such as misplacing the file or sending it to archives in error.

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.

5. If you have an attorney handling this case, you should consult with your attorney. If you do not, you might want to check online or call national customer service to find out if the cases have been transferred to Baltimore or are still at the service center. If they are in Baltimore, you can arrange for an Infopass appointment. If you filed the I-130 petition and that is in process, you can find out the status at the Infopass. If the I-485 applications are in process, the applicants have to go to the Infopass.

If you obtained your citizenship after having been granted asylum, you should be aware that a large number of such cases and the relating derivative actions are under investigation because a certain attorney filed hundreds of such asylum cases fraudulently for Iranian citizens. It may take years for those case reviews to be completed. Check the link below to see if this was your attorney.

The answer provided does not create an attorney-client relationship and is only based on the information submitted in the question. If other information were submitted, it could result in a different answer. Consult with an experienced immigration law attorney for legal advice.