How long does it take in NYC for a divorce to be final once the stipulation has been signed?

Jamaica, NY |

I have to go back to court next Thursday to finally settle this after 2 1/2 years of filing.

Once its settled, how long does it take to get my divorce decree?

1. It depends upon the judge and the court calendar. If you sign a stipulation of settlement in the court while the judge is there, sometimes the judge will "so order" the stipulation. Sometimes, the judge makes changes. Most often, the papers are submitted to the court and then you have to wait at least a few weeks, sometimes much more. Sorry I can't give you a more specific answer, but you can try calling the judge's secretary to see if they will tell you "about" when you could expect a signed order. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

2. You still have a while to go. After the inquest on your next court date a transcript must be produced and the final paperwork will be submitted to the court. Once the final paperwork is accepted by the court it can still take months to be signed by the judge and entered by the county clerk. Your lawyer should be able to keep you apprised of the developments.

I have been a criminal defense attorney in New York for over 20 years. Feel free to view my website at Brooklynlaw.net or contact me either by phone at 718-208-6094 or via email at howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. Budget cuts in the court system made the waiting for litigation results very long. not much you can do. If you are about to be remarried or have a pregnancy issue, there are mechanisms to get it done faster.

4. There is no real way to answer this question. It all depends on the back log or overwork on the courts. The "clock " does not start until the Stipulation and all other submission documents are filed, not from when the case is marked settled. Generally it seems to take around 6 months once everything is fully submitted.