Skip to main content

How long does it take from filing divorce petition to getting back something from the court to serve the spouse?

Los Angeles, CA |

i plan to file the divorce petition tomorrow. how long will it take for the court to process the petition and send me back paperwork for me to serve the spouse? this is for city of los angeles. thank you!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You should get your conformed copies when you file.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

  2. You should have brought extra photocopies of the papers that you filed, for the Clerk to conform and return to you - for your own file and to be served. If you didn't do that, you should go to the Clerk's office and purchase a photocopy of the papers that you filed, and make extra copies of those papers so that you have a complete file and you have copes of the filed documents to be served on the Respondent. Service should be made by somebody other than you, over the age of 18 years. You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you in your divorce.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. When you bring your petition to the court, also bring copies of each document to be filed. The clerk, at the time you file, will stamp the copies, indicating they were filed, and stamp your copies with the case number. You can serve the same day, if you want. Don't forget that along with your petition, you also need to file a Family Law Case Cover Sheet and a Summons. If there are minor children of the marriage, you'll also need FL-105 (UCCJEA)

  4. All the documents will be stamped the day you bring them to the court. Bring two copies of everything. The court will keep the originals. You get back two stamped copies. Have your wife served afterwards with an entire set, including a blank copy of the answer. Get there early becaude there are a lot of people filing documents and you do not want to be stuck there all day. Best of luck,

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., aka 'El Abogado Hispano de California: 510-206-4492. It is of a general context and is not intended to form an attorney client relationship. I am licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on divorce, family matters, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado Hispano Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Divorcios, Abogado Latino Accidentes, y Abogado de Bancarrotas de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics