Skip to main content

How long does it take for uncontested Divorce to happen?? it was filed in family court on Feb 13 2013.

11427 |

I got married in Feb 2011 and it did not work out so she moved out in june 2011 we filed for uncontested divorce in august 2012 as we both hired attorneys who just wanted us to shell money left and right and in the end after a few trips to the supreme court it was filed on Feb 13 2013 so how long does it take as its 6/24/2013 and im still not divorced. is there something i can do so i can get an answer or speed it up or pay someone to get this done asap as its uncontested and its already filed.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. The amount of time it takes varies depending on the court's workload at the time. 4 months uncommon.

    As an aside, divorces are heard by Supreme Court - not Family Court. You may want to contact the clerk's office to ensure everything was filed properly.

    It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>

  2. That depends upon the county in which it was filed. Four months is not a terribly long time given the budget cuts that have hit the courts.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

  3. You don't state what county in which it is pending, so no help there. It varies by county. It could be even slower if your case was heard by an Acting Supreme Court Justice who is actually a Family Court Judge.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  4. Varies by county, judge assgned and current backlog. Speak with your lawyer who has the details.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics