How long does it take for uncontested Divorce to happen?? it was filed in family court on Feb 13 2013.

11427 |

I got married in Feb 2011 and it did not work out so she moved out in june 2011 we filed for uncontested divorce in august 2012 as we both hired attorneys who just wanted us to shell money left and right and in the end after a few trips to the supreme court it was filed on Feb 13 2013 so how long does it take as its 6/24/2013 and im still not divorced. is there something i can do so i can get an answer or speed it up or pay someone to get this done asap as its uncontested and its already filed.

The amount of time it takes varies depending on the court's workload at the time. 4 months uncommon.

As an aside, divorces are heard by Supreme Court - not Family Court. You may want to contact the clerk's office to ensure everything was filed properly.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="http://www.LouisLSternbergLaw.com">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>

i actually just went to the Supreme court in Jamaica New york on Sutphin blvd and the clerk told me that the file is complete and everything is in order but im just shocked how long it takes for an uncontested divorce... is there a way i could speed it up or hire a lawyer as I fired my last lawyer cause he never helped at all and he was in manhattan so never had time to go to queens what can i do to speed it up or see how much longer as the court clerk is not much help.

That depends upon the county in which it was filed. Four months is not a terribly long time given the budget cuts that have hit the courts.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

it was filed in queens county in supreme court of queens new york on sutphin blvd

David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

In that court cases can be on hold due to the backlog for up to a year.

can i change the court or expedite it in any way.... can i hire a lawyer to speed it up or is it really worth trying or just let it be in the court... i would really like this to be over... i dont have a lawyer now but its all filed and its been waiting

David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

I have several cases in the same position in the same court - there is such a thing as a motion for expedited review - but it requires a good reason for needing that expedited review.

You don't state what county in which it is pending, so no help there. It varies by county. It could be even slower if your case was heard by an Acting Supreme Court Justice who is actually a Family Court Judge.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Varies by county, judge assgned and current backlog. Speak with your lawyer who has the details.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.