How long does it take for someone to know if a detainee has bond in a immigration detention?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Aurora, CO

My boyfriends just had his trial today and everything went well, but he has immigration hold he is currently in county but he will be picked up by immigration, how long does it take for me to know if he has a bond or is eligible for a bond?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Laura L Lichter

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You should be able to find out immediately if there is an immigration detainer (a request from immigration, to the state, to "hold on" to the person until ICE can decide if they want to take the person into custody).

    If there IS a detainer (and even if there isn't), you need to contact an experienced immigration attorney to help you understand the removal process and what options you might have. Some people are not even eligible for a bond, and others will need to ask an immigration judge for a bond hearing in order to reconsider the amount.

    If there is a detainer, the new form contains contact information so you can find out information on bond amounts and how to post a bond. Go to ICE's online locator system for detailed information--here's the Denver (Aurora) information.

    This answer provides only general information and may not be relied on as legal advice. For more information... more
  2. Igor Serbinin


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Bond determination will be given to him pretty soon but i would start call his DRO to request determination from the moment he will be picked up. The sooner the determination will be issued the sooner you (your immigration removal attorney) will be able to challenge it if necessary. There are rules for ICE to follow on charges and bond determination but they are not always follow those. He need to take care of it himself.

  3. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . ICE will tell him fairly quickly if he is eligible for ICE bond.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,322 answers this week

2,965 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,322 answers this week

2,965 attorneys answering