How long does it take for someone to know if a detainee has bond in a immigration detention?

Aurora, CO |

My boyfriends just had his trial today and everything went well, but he has immigration hold he is currently in county but he will be picked up by immigration, how long does it take for me to know if he has a bond or is eligible for a bond?

ICE will tell him fairly quickly if he is eligible for ICE bond.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

he called me and told me he might be picked up this afternoon or tomorrow morning but he will be at a detention facility not the regular ice detention, but he did mention he will be processed their. Would they be able to set him abond their or will he have to wait to get to the actual ice facility?

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

possibly, it is always different with them

Bond determination will be given to him pretty soon but i would start call his DRO to request determination from the moment he will be picked up. The sooner the determination will be issued the sooner you (your immigration removal attorney) will be able to challenge it if necessary. There are rules for ICE to follow on charges and bond determination but they are not always follow those. He need to take care of it himself.

What a DRO?

And would all cases be need to be represented by a attorney for a bond to be issued?

Igor Serbinin

Igor Serbinin

DRO is a detention and removal officer from ICE. If criminal disposition is not a serious one ICE may release with unsecured bond or not a significant amount that is not worth hiring an attorney. If you feel that it is too much or "no bond" determination by ICE then attorney will be helpful.

a police officer from arapahoe county called me and told me he was being sent to the ice detencion in aurora the one on peoria i asked if he knew who his DRO was and he said he didnt know nor if he had a bond he just plead guilty to distruction of property

Igor Serbinin

Igor Serbinin

If charges had anything to do with domestic violence situation you definitely need removal defense attorney.

You should be able to find out immediately if there is an immigration detainer (a request from immigration, to the state, to "hold on" to the person until ICE can decide if they want to take the person into custody).

If there IS a detainer (and even if there isn't), you need to contact an experienced immigration attorney to help you understand the removal process and what options you might have. Some people are not even eligible for a bond, and others will need to ask an immigration judge for a bond hearing in order to reconsider the amount.

If there is a detainer, the new form contains contact information so you can find out information on bond amounts and how to post a bond. Go to ICE's online locator system for detailed information--here's the Denver (Aurora) information.

http://www.ice.gov/detention-facilities/facilities/denicdf.htm

This answer provides only general information and may not be relied on as legal advice. For more information about immigration law and policy, please visit www.lichterimmigration.com or follow us on twitter (@lauralichter) or facebook, www.facebook/lichterimmigration. To find an immigration lawyer in your area, log on to www.ailalawyer.com. Listed attorneys have been members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the nation's premier bar association for immigration lawyers, for at least two years, comply with annual continuing legal education (CLE) requirements and carry malpractice insurance.

Recommended articles about Immigration