How long does it take for INS to send decision after I 485 interview?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

The interview took place in April 12. The IO requested additional evidence and the evidence was sent in May. So, it is early August now and phoned INS to inquire the status. I was told the processing time is only for the I 485 filed on January 2012. Isn't the timeline wrong of Jan 12? I know some people get the I 485 approved on the spot and their I 485 filed after January of 2012. So, isn't the status provided by Customer Service Rep wrong? So, if making info pass appointment, would the answer given more accurate? Thanks.

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Depends on the issues and the category.

2. Nicolette Glazer

Answered . There is no set time-frame for cis to issue a decision after the interview. If more than 90 days have passed since the response to the RFE was received by cis you can make an INFOPASS. The local office has the file and will be in a better position to provide you with a status report. If the case was, however, referred for investigation then it can take a long time before a decision is issued.