Skip to main content

How long does it take for an inmate to be assigned a case/case number?

Kings Mountain, NC |
Filed under: Criminal defense

my fiance has been in jail for about one month. he has been to his 1st appearance court date and also to his felony calender. he has informed me he has to go back to a next court date, so i called the court house and they told me he needs a case number, which he doesn't have. now i don't know if he will be assigned one in the future, or if he doesn't need one.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. The court should assign file numbers to his charges at the time that the magistrate issues the warrant. Certainly once he has a court date there would be a file number. If you go to the AOC website and search by his name in the appropriate county, you should be able to find his file number that way. I will attach the link to the website below.... If you cannot find his case by searching for his name it is possible that his name was entered incorrectly at the clerks office. It sounds as if there has been some mis-communication, as the answer you say they gave you makes no sense.

    No answer to these questions is intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for an actual conversation with a licensed attorney about the particular facts and circumstances of your case.

  2. Case numbers are generated when the officer swears out the warrant at the magistrate's office. So the case number is in existence, whether he knows it or not. Call the clerks, give them his name, and any alias he may have used, and they will be able to give you the case number (it will be something like 13CR70733). If the clerks will not give you that information, go to his next court date and look up his name on the calendar. The case number will be to the left of his name (check out the example link that I provided). If he is charged with a felony, you can always ask his court appointed lawyer what the case number is.

    The information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva is based upon the generic and ambiguous facts presented in short questions. Without a full consultation with an attorney, you should not rely upon any information presented in this forum. The intricate facts of every case are different. The information provided is not legal advice and should not be the basis of any decision without the actual guidance of an attorney. Further, any information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva should not be perceived as a willingness to represent you or actual representation. If you would like to speak with Attorney Matthew V. Silva, please call Silva and Sweet, PLLC at 910-333-9833 or visit

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics