How long does it take for an adjuster's offer to be approved?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I was in an accident in July 2012. My car was struck from the side and sent across thre lanes of traffic into a tree. I recieved a lot of soft tissue damage as well as a head injury that had to be closed with four staples. My attorney is being a real jerk to me when I call and ask for updates on the case..so I wanted to ask the lawyers on this site, my question and see what advice they can offer. My attorney said that on Monday an offer was submitted by the other person's insurance, and is waiting for approval. How long does this process normally take. It has been 3 months since my accident now...so I'm just wondering what the hold up is...any advice?

1. Michael Rene Braun

5

1

Answered . You should always be comfortable with your lawyer, however I think that settling a closed head inury case three months after the collision would be a disservice to you. Obviously I have no idea what you are going through, but if you are finished treating with the doctors and are back to normal, maybe it is time. You should go to your attorneys office and talk to them in person so y'all can get on the same page.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

5

Answered . Three months would be unusually fast to settle such a case. Typically, once you have finished treating, it could take that long just to order your medical records, review them, and make an initial demand. While no one here can speak to your atorney being a "jerk", the problem here may be your impatience. You may be expecting things too quickly. Ask him point blank for his estimate on a time frame.

3. Herman Gene Burkett Jr.

6

Answered . Three months is fast. You need to speak about these issues with your attorney, he is the one familiar with your case.

4. Kevin Coluccio

5

Answered . You need to talk directly with your attorney.

5. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . Either talk to your attorney or find one with whom you can communicate!

6. Sara Elizabeth Root

2

Answered . You should be able to communicate openly with your attorney's office and feel confident that they will give you accurate updates on your case. I would encourage you to schedule a phone call with your attorney in advance, to secure a time when he or she will be available and able to devote thier full attention to your questions.

Usually, once you are finished with your medical treatment, and all medical bills, records, and any other evidence has been collected, your attorney would demand a certian amount of money from the insurance company, and the insurance company makes an offer in response. That process may take several weeks. All cases are different depending on the facts, so really the best thing to do is have this conversation with your attorney.

7. Gary A Kester

1

Answered . I am not in your State/jurisdiction. I agree with these other fine attorneys. If you are believe you are getting the run around, ask the attorney for a copy of your file to include the demand letter which would show the date it was sent (presumably). There are a lot of reasons case negotiations get delayed but there are no reason for not talking to your client or treating them with respect.