How long does it take for a judge to sign divorce papers?

Bronx, NY |

How long does it take a judge to sign off on an Uncontested Divorce in Manhattan court?

My divorce file in New York City went to the judge. It has been weeks and I am still waiting for it to be signed.

1. Presuming that there is no contest regarding your divorce, the answer depends on how backed-up the clerk's office is in your jurisdiction. You can call the clerk's office to see where the file is and how soon they believe your case will be processed. Try this site for more information: http://www.bing.com/search?q=Manhattan+Family+Court&FORM=R5FD

2. As always, do not construe posts as legal advice but as "attorney advertising" and you should always consult with a lawyer on any legal matter.

It takes as long as it takes. Call the Judge's clerk and see what the status is. If all the economic and child issues have been already resolved, there should be nothing really holding you back from proceeding on with your life - except of course if you are waiting to be remarried immediately.

3. The delay often isn't in the court, but in the county clerk's office. Judgments are typically signed relatively quickly after the papers are submitted - but that's not the end of the process. The paperwork goes from the court to the county clerk, where it can take as much as an additional month for the file to get processed and the judgment entered into the system.