Skip to main content

How long does it take for a felony and/or misdeamenor not to show up on a background check, when applying for a job?

Charlottesville, VA |

Trying to get a job.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I don't practice in VA, but in my state, KY, a felony conviction will remain on your record forever, absent a lawful expungement order or pardon.

In my state, you can petition the court to expunge all juvenile records after your 18th birthday and can get misdemeanor conviction expunged by KY statute after 5-7 years from conviction date or completion of probation/conditional discharge time.

You should rum your own criminal record check in your state to see your record for yourself and consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area to see if you have any state expungements statutes that can be used.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


You need to discuss with a local lawyer about the prospect of getting your charges remvoed, expunged, pardoned or sealed from your record. Also, there are some types of jobs, like being a lawyer, you would have to disclose the fact that you had a criminal record, even if it has been expunged.

There is also a certain time periods many states require you to wait before you can get your record expunged. Generally speaking, the more severe the criminal charge the more difficult to expunge and more time that has to pass before the record gets expunged.

Good luck with your case.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented.


In Virginia, criminal charges, misdemeanors and felonies, remain on your record forever. Typical expungements are not available at any time because they are reserved for people who were truly innocent. The only way possible to have a criminal record removed is to obtain a pardon from the governor. These are hard to obtain, so you would want to consult with an attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer