How long does it take for a default judgment to process and become finalized?

Asked about 5 years ago - Lynwood, CA

I went to a default trial on 8/28/2009. The judge granted the judgment, but it has not been processed yet. How long does this take? I want to re-marry ASAP, my fiance and I are just waiting for this to get finalized.

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . It can take as much as 90 days. Call the judge's clerk and explain your desire to remarry. A nice clerk can sometimes expedite the handling.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

2. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . You can call the judge's clerk to see the status of your judgment, but usually these are processed in the order received, and the fact that's it's been 6 weeks doesn't sound like that long a time. So while you can ask for preferential processing because you actually have a reason for wanting the dissolution to be finalized, it may not be done.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Norman Gregory Fernandez

Pro

Answered . There is no set time, and some Courts are better than others. I would keep calling.